Wednesday, January 25, 2012

1 + 1 = 1

One plus one equals one.  It surprised the heck out of me too.  Most of the time the answer is two, but in this case one problem plus another problem equaled one solution.  The problems were with my GAME plan.  Specifically the problems were with the logistics of achieving my goal (implementing at least one new technology tool or strategy to my teaching per month) and the evaluation of effectiveness of carrying out this goal.  In a weird way each problem turned out to be a solution to the other problem.

The first problem became apparent pretty quickly.  Because our school has about 550 students and only 65 computers, the computer lab and lap-top cart are in pretty high demand.  As soon as I made my goal, I began to wonder if I would upset other teachers by using our technology resources more than my share.  It didn’t take long to find out.  Last week we were out of school all week due to a snow storm, and our entire school’s technology resource schedule has been thrown into chaos as a result.  My vice principal and I sat down and looked at the demands for the technology resources we have and decided that it was not fair or realistic to think that I could schedule the computer lab or lap-top cart at least once a month for two blocks of students.  Something had to give.

The second problem had to do with the evaluation of the effectiveness of my plan.  I am teaching a new grade and new subject area, so I have nothing to compare current student results with.  How was I to know whether the use of technology had increased my students understanding of the information being taught?  Measurable results are part of the goal.  If I altered the established curriculum, I should be able to measure and show any improvements.  The fact that my school does not have the technology resources we would like actually provided a solution to this problem.

It may not be fair or realistic to expect that I could reserve our technology resources for two blocks of students per month, but after looking at the schedule, it is possible to reserve the resources for one block of students per month.  One block will receive the standard instruction while the other block will be participating in my GAME plan of including one new technology tool or strategy per month.  The blocks will alternate each month so both groups get equal time with new technology tools and strategies.  This plan has the added benefit of providing a base group for comparison.  Because both groups will be learning about the same information but will be taught in different ways, the new technology tools and strategies can be compared to the traditional instruction to measure its effectiveness. 

To be honest, I have never been a fan of the saying, “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade”.  In this case though, it fits.

2 comments:

  1. I am very impressed. This is such a great idea for gathering research on the use of technology. Then the facts could be used to guide not only you but your colleagues as well. Assuming the technology group shows more in depth learning, this could be used to convince other teachers of the value of technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. So far using technology and being able to show any improved results in either student engagement and/or understanding has kind of been a double-edged sword. As more of my colleagues learn about some of the strategies that we have been learning about in our studies, there has been more of a demand for our technology resources. While I am happy that all the students at my school are being exposed to more instructional strategies that involve technology, it has also made it harder to implement new strategies because their are less resources available now. Hopefully, if we can show more in depth learning, the district will make the purchasing of more technology resources more of a priority.

      Delete